Monday, May 24, 2010

Saint Luke... Sorry I Ignored You In Church A Few Hours Ago

Well here we go again. We’ve circled back to the Bible. It’s beginning to seem like our awful IMP math program. I thought it was finally over *sigh*. It is late and Sunday night. I’ve just come back from church to write and read about what I was probably trying to ignore a few hours ago. So I was assigned the gospel of Saint Luke. Finally were getting to Jesus.
So the Gospels are essentially the story of Jesus told by many different people. Luke by the way of his writing I can tell must have been educated. He knew how to write. The writing is a clear translation. To this Gospel there are essentially two stories one being the story of Jesus and the other being John the Baptist. Basically Veggie Tales explained these scenes to me in a more understanding way. The problem with Veggies Tales is that they left a few things out. So Gabriel goes first to Zachariah saying that his wife Elizabeth is pregnant, and then he goes to Mary, who at the time mind you is betrothed to Joseph, and tells her she is pregnant. I don’t know about you but I would have loved to witness the conversation between Mary and Joseph.
Mary: Hey, um Jo.
Joseph: What happened Mary?
 Mary: I’m pregnant.
Joseph: What in the name of God are you talking about? We haven’t even done things yet! We were waiting until you were ready! Remember?
Mary: See an angel came to me last night and well…
Joseph: What?! Who’s is this guy?! He’s a goner!
Mary: No no no!!! its not like that Jo! He told me I was pregnant!
Joseph: Oh ok then that’s perfectly ok.

Well actually it went a little more like this…, “Mary, rejoicing, utters the prayer now known as the Magnificat: “My soul magnifies the Lord” (1:46). Then Veggie Tales pretty much sums up the rest. Jesus is born in a manger and all the kings come bearing gifts. I’ll leave Jesus’s life for the next post.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment