Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Surrogate Bible Mothers?

So as I continue reading the one and only King James Version of The Bible I am discovering more and more references I have heard people say. I can see we are now beginning the story of Abraham and Sodom and Gomorrah. When my mom would drop me off at the boulevard at the beach I go to in Peru, there were lots of bars and clubs and kids walking around with vodka, every time she would repeat “Sodom and Gomorrah I don’t know why I still let you go”. So basically we have reached the story of Abram.  
At the beginning everyone spoke the same language and was pretty unified as Noah’s family. The generations began to multiply and God scattered them as he says here, “the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.” Ch.11 Text.9. This to me was very interesting because I have always had this curiosity about language and its beginnings. I know to take the bible in a more literal point of view and try to kind of find he meaning behind it. For example in this past quote the Lord scattered them may mean that they migrated and spread. This is kind of like the rib of Adam represents the equality of Eve.

There was also another part at the beginning of this that went somewhat like, “And Salah lived thirty years and begat Eber:”etc etc, Ch.11 Text.14, for about a whole chapter. I would make another chart but I think we all pretty much got the idea.
Another and my last point for the blog will be the theme of conception. Sarai couldn’t have a child so she told Abram to have a child with the servant. This to me was kind of funny, it’s like the servants a kind of surrogate mother. I can only imagine if my house keeper (Luz Marina, if you read my writing blog) were a surrogate mother, never mind bad thoughts, don’t think them.

No comments:

Post a Comment