Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sorry Dad I Crashed Your Car

The story of Pheaton was probably my favorite one. Pheaton if at a therapists and is complaining about a little accident he had earlier. Apparently his father is the sun god, Apollo, but wasn’t around much when he was a kid. He recently went and confronted him saying he didn’t like that he wasn’t around because nobody believes him and his class mates would tease him. So Apollo says he is right and that he is sorry and tells him he may have whatever he wants. He says “Now, there’s only one thing I want, I mean it’s obvious right? I say, “Give me the keys to your car.” Immediately he starts backpedaling saying it’s his job” Page 65-66. Long story short Apollo gives in and Pheaton doesn’t listen to his instructions and burns Africa with the sun. Now he is complaining to the therapist. This was actually very funny to me because it reminded me of the classic spoiled son situation. Couldn’t you just picture a little rich kid asking his father for the keys to the convertible and ending up crashing it after a party? This all seems pretty familiar to me. And like every little rich boy, he ends up in therapy. I don’t think I need to say much more on my opinion about this story, it’s like it was written for some friends of mine.
The next story was interesting because it was a series of questions and answers in the middle of the play. Basically it was about Love, the son of Aphrodite who fell in love with Pschye. The problem was Love wouldn’t let Phsyche see him because he wanted he love to be pure and transparent and not based on looks. But Phsyche’s jealous sisters told her he was a monster. She decided to go at night and take a look for herself. The wax from the candle woke him up and she had to suffer the consequences for not trusting him. Aphrodite made her do ridiculous things like sort out thousands of seeds until Zeus called it off and made Phsyche immortal. They got married and lived happily ever after. Now I don’t know why but this reminds me of Websites like match.com. These websites practically set you up on blind dates and you have to be able to trust that the person is really who you think they are. This story would be one of the lucky ones. Most of the time the blind dates go horribly wrong, women as much as men are in it for the money or because of a profile picture they put up from ten years ago. This story just kind of reminded me of trust. There was also another connection I made and one that I liked. It said that love had to be transparent, it had to be based on personality. I really liked how she couldn’t see him until she met him and was in love. So many relationships are just based on looks and the results are trophy wives or just plain airheads who have learned to survive only on looks. I really liked that part, the only thing tht bugged me is that he could see her and how beautiful she was. It would have been more fair if neither one had seen the other. I also thought it was interesting how Aphrodite got into the relationship so much. A lot of boys are actually very much spoiled by their mothers which causes problems in their relationships. That’s when the wife gets a phone call about how her husband absolutely needs his dinner cooked. It’s interesting how many connections there are in this play to modern day life. I'm really enjoying this book more than all the others.


No comments:

Post a Comment