Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Really Dad?

Reading into the next chapters of the Genesis the story of Abram, later known as Abraham, continues. These chapters I believe brought out Gods sense of humor. I can just imagine the look on, now Abrahams, face when God told him he had to be circumcised. If when I say it to my friends their faces go pail, and that’s just playing around, I can only imagine how Abraham must have really reacted. In the Bible he actually seems quite calm about it. I wonder why God really wanted him, and his future offspring to do this. This is when I came to the conclusion of: God has a sense of humor.
There is also another part which is pretty interesting to me which is when Abraham tries to kill his son (with Sarai, now Sarah) he waited so long to have. Now Abraham seems kind of calm when God tells him to do this, am I wrong?, “And Abraham rose up early and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him” Genesis 22:3, mind you God has just told him to kill his son. Abraham makes it seem like he’s off for a morning walk. We pretty much all know the rest of the story. Abraham almost kills his son when, voila an angel stops him. Now instead of looking at this from Abraham’s point of view, let’s look at it from the sons. Would you seriously go into the same room with your father again? I mean he tried to kill the kid. He tricked him. I imagine the conversation going a little like this:
Abraham: Hey Isaac do you want to go on a walk?
Isaac: Sure dad! We haven’t spent too much quality time together in a while.
Abraham: Alright then we are going to make a sacrifice.
Isaac: sweet.
*10 hours later*
Isaac: Hey dad are we there yet?
Abraham: No!
Isaac: Hey dad are we there yet?
Abraham: No!
Isaac: Hey dad are we there yet?
Abraham: No!
Isaac: What about now?
Abraham: No! Stop asking!
Isaac: Ok… 99 bottles of beer on the wall 99 bottles of beer, take one down pass it around...
Abraham: Shut up!
Isaac: Ok new song. I know a song that gets on everybody’s nerves, everybody’s nerves, and this is how it goes! Tun tun tun.
Abraham: O Lord it is no use…
*Getting close to the top of the mountain*
Abraham: Almost there.
Isaac: Hey. Wait. Dad. Where is the sheep to sacrifice?
Abraham: You will see it will be a surprise; God will have one waiting for us.
Isaac: Ok…
*10 minutes later Isaac is tied up and Abraham is preparing the knife. *
Isaac: Hey dad this game is actually pretty fun, but do I really need to be tied up and blind folded?
*Just as Abraham is about to kill his son, the angel appears*
Angel: Stop! Stop! You’ve proven yourself!
*Isaac removes blind fold*
Isaac: What?! Are you serious!
Abraham: Isaac! I can explain!

The rest of that conversation I really wouldn’t like to imagine, but I can’t lead myself to believe it went to well. Well to end this humorous story, Sarah dies in tragedy at the age of 127. Somebody ate her spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment