Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Motherly Instinct?

As I have continued my readings and discoveries of the Bible, many more topics have come in my interest. Continuing the Genesis Sarah and Abraham pass. Sarah first, and Abraham doesn’t fail to find a new companion after the grief of her death. Anyways the main topic of this part of the story is actually their son, Isaac. Isaac now has kids with his wife Rebekah. The part that interested me the most though was actually the story of Isaac and Rebekah.

It all started when Abraham sent his servant out to find a wife for his son, “And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master. Genesis 24:14

The servant knew almost from the first glance at Rebekah that she was the one. Isaac and Rebekah had an arranged marriage but they still fell deep in love.
The next part comes with children. Esau and Jacob were their children. The rivalry between the two began when Isaac would choose Jacob over Esau. And Rebekah would prefer Esau and always give him advantages. This part reminds me very mucho of my relationship with my parents. My father tends to take my side during fights and my mom takes my brothers side. This also has to do with the fact that my mother was the youngest of four, so naturally, she feels for the younger child. This is interesting because here the mother also favors the younger child; I’m beginning to think it isn’t only my mother’s memories but also natural instinct to protect the younger obnoxious one.

No comments:

Post a Comment