Thursday, March 18, 2010

Why so Many Men?

Is Arjuna going to cave into fighting? In teaching 11 it seems like Arjuna is becoming more prone to the idea, “To favor me you revealed the deepest mystery of self, and by your words my delusion is dispelled” The Vision Of Krishna’s Totality Pg. 97 text. 1. Arjuna seems to be falling for Krishna’s wise, yet wrong intentional, words. This could go either good or bad. Back then the right thing to do would be to fight, but all morals say not to, especially not against family. Krishna is on society’s side. As well in this teaching a clear good picture of Krishna is described. My artistic intention of drawing it can be exhibited in this post. I am beginning to get a better view on my theory and I believe Arjuna is to, “Tell me- Who are you in this terrible form? Homage to you, Best of Gods! Be gracious! I want to know you as you are in your beginning. I do not comprehend the course of your ways.” The Vision Of Krishna’s Totality Pg. 103 text.3 1. I think Arjuna is telling us he also believes Krishna’s intentions are bad, and he doesn’t understand why since he is so wise. Krishna is also saying he that he killed all these battle heroes. Since when is a God a killer? Any way there is still no clear point in where this will go, at least in this chapter.

Devotion, it’s a pretty powerful word for a title. It’s a powerfull word for anybeing. Krishna wants Arjuna to devote himself completely to him. He says that is the only way to escape rebirth. Krishna says “Focus your mind on me, let your understanding enter me; then you will dwell in me without doubt” Devotion Pg. 110 text. 8. I fail to see how focusing on someone your whole life will not waste your time, but give you eternal happiness and no rebirth. Another of the “men” was also brought up the man of devotion, “He does not rejoice or hate, grieve or feel desire; relinquishing fortune and misfortune, the man of devotion is dear to me” Devotion Pg. 111 text. 17. The man of devotion is also free from attachment. Personally I would like to call all these men of devotion, discipline, self control, etc Krishna freaks (like Jesus freaks). It would be kind of weird to find a person that devoted to Krishna. I mean Krishna’s cool and all but that would be a little much. I say this being raised fully Catholic. It isn’t healthy to be that devoted to one person.

Knowing The Field, this title reminds me of Enkidu.  The first image that comes up is a field with gazelles and a beast grazing in it. A new man is introduced, the field- knower. This man gives me an image of Ishmael and a man living with gorillas. Now I feel stupid, apparently the field isn’t an actual green grassy field, “The field contains the great elements, individuality, understanding, unmanifest nature, the eleven senses, and the five sense realms” Knowing The Field Pg. 113 text. 5. Apparently there is a double meaning to the classic words you’ve known since kindergarten for every word in this book. Despite my sarcasm in this section of the blog, I did find a quote I liked, “Just as one sun illumines this entire world, so the master of the field illumines the entire field” Knowing The Field Pg. 117 text. 33. I really liked this because the way I interpret it is that everyone shines in some aspect. There is always something you can illumine. After all Knowing The Field finished on a good note.

Lucidity, passion, and dark inertia make up the triad of nature. This is of course what this teaching is all about. I’m going to explain them one by one according to Krishna.
1.    Lucidity: Lucidity is not attained yet it is luminous with no decay. It makes you addicted to joy and passion to actions. When it dominates passion and inertia it thrives. When knowledge shines in all of your senses it prevails. The men of lucidity go up.
2.    Passion: It is born of craving and is very emotional. It binds the embodied self with attachment to action. When increased longing, greed, activity, actions, and disquiet arise. When a man dies in passion he is reborn with lovers of action. Passions fruit is suffering. The men of passion stay neutral.
3.    Dark Inertia: Dark inertia is born of ignorance and is the delusion of every embodied self. It binds negligence, sleep, and indolence as it also obscures knowledge. When dark inertia is increased, arise obscurity, inactivity, negligence, and delusion. When a man dies of dark inertia he is reborn into wombs of folly. Its fruit is ignorance. The men of dark inertia go way down.  
Krishna again brings up his main point of wanting Arjuna to devote himself to him. If you devote yourself to Krishna you will get immortality, no rebirth, no death, and no old age. Men devoted to Krishna like light, like activity, and like delusion. When these elements go away though, they don’t desire them. These men are impartial to suffering vs. joy and all material objects. This remind me very much of the enlightened man. The only difference is that the men of Krishna are un moved by natures qualities. The more I read, the more I realize how many similarities there are in Buddhism and Hinduism. I want to end this teaching with Krishna’s last quote, “I am the infinite spirits foundation, immortal and immutable, the basis of eternal sacred duty and of perfect joy” The Triad Of Nature’s Qualities Pg. 121 text. 27.

The biggest thing they have brought up through this book are the different types of men. This teaching is called The True Spirit Of Man. It begins with the quote that I found rther interesting, “Roots in the air, branches below, the tree of life is unchanging, they say; it leaves of hymns, and he who knows it, knows sacred lore” The True Spirit Of Man Pg. 122 text. 1. The tree of life is unchanging, is he talking about immortals and life when you get to him and not rebirth? Is this referring to old age? One thing life with Krishna would guarantee not to happen. This quote was a little hard to interpret but I liked it. I especially liked the comparison of the tree to life. Many times the trees are indeed compared to life. This teaching had very little, but I enjoyed it. It was different. Finally something that wasn’t all about Krishna.
How to successfully draw Krishna (important aspects):
1.    Serpents
2.    Boundless
3.    Many arms, legs, feet, eyes, mouths, noses, bellies, fangs
4.    Fiery
5.    Crown
6.    Mace
7.    Discus
8.    Moon eye and sun eye
9.    Flamed mouth
10. Heaven/ Earth
11. Lots of color!
*If you did it right, it should not look like the picture below.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment