Monday, March 15, 2010

Krishna, Krishna, Krishna, And More Krishna

I’ve finally gotten to the next teachings. Basically Krishna is saying everything is made from him. This teaching to me seems a little egotistical. This chapter is basically Krishna talking about how wonderful Krishna is. It reminds me of a friend of mine. Sometimes she thinks the universe revolves around her, “Learn that this is the womb of all creatures; I am the source of all the universe, just as I am its dissolution” Knowledge and judgment Pg.74 text 6. Although this is all egotistical the main purpose of this teaching is for Krishna to teach Arjuna the totality of knowledge. He begins saying there are four types of men devoted to him, “Arjuna, four types of virtuous men are devoted to me: the tormented man, the seeker of wisdom, the suppliant, and the sage” Knowledge and judgment Pg. 75 text 16. This to me is very interesting because of another thing I have recently heard at church. Basically they were saying there are 4 types of Catholics that seek god: 1.The devoted ones who go to church every Sunday 2.The ones that go to church only when there is need 3.The ones that want to learn from going to church 4.The ones who were raised catholic and go to church as an obligation. This quote reminded me of this. The tormented man is like the man that goes only when in need. These are the people that go to church only when a family member is sick o r they have some other kind of problem. The people that are devoted and go every Sunday are the sages. The ones who were raised Catholics are the suppliants. And the seekers of wisdom are equal to the people that go to church to learn. This to me was a good connection with my own beliefs.
Teaching eight is all about its title, The Infinite Spirit. This teaching is about the spirit after death. Basically Krishna says that if you think of him before you die, you will have a pleasant after life. The teaching begins with questions from Arjuna, “What is the infinite spirit Krishna? What is its inner self, its action? What is its inner being called? What is its inner divinity?                        Who is within sacrifice, Krishna? How is he here in the body? And how are men of self-control to know you at the time of death?” The Infinite Spirit Pg. 71 text 1-2. Krishna replies to these questions, which basically covers the teaching. The infinite spirit according to Krishna is eternal and supreme. The inner self is called the inherent being and aaction is the source of the creatures existence. Inner being is perishable existence. And inner divinity the man’s spirit. Krishna is within sacrifice and In your body, the best of mortals. The men of self control enter Krishna’s body at the time of death only when there is no doubt. Krishna explains very deeply how if the man thinks of him at the time of death he will come to him, “Whatever he being remembers when he abandons the body at death, he enters, Arjuna, always existing in that being” The Infinite Spirit Pg. 80 text 6. This quote I like a lot because I also believe that at the time of death you remember the most pleasant. According to this, you enter what you remember. So you must remember something pleasant or Krishna at the time of death. Who knows maybe I will even remember Krishna at the time of my death (sike). I hope that sike won’t cause me any karma though. I found this eight teaching very interesting.
The ninth teaching intends to be suspenseful. It is not. Krishna intends to tell you his deepest mystery. Do you know what it is? Devote yourself to him, like we haven’t read this in every single other teaching of his. I’m sorry I’m being a bit unfair. See today I had written everything I had to. When I got on my computer after tutoring it was all erased. So I am basically re writing everything. Maybe this is why it seems so familiar. Anyway in this teaching Krishna is saying you must devote yourself to him. He says if not you will have to face death and then rebirth, “Without faith in sacred duty, men fail to reach me, Arjuna; they return to the cycle of death and rebirth” The Sublime Mystery Pg. 85 text 3. Is life on earth really that bad? So now I know what happens once you die, you either rebirth or go to a magical heaven if you think of Krishna 24/7. He also says something that confuses me. He says the creatures exist in him but he does not exsist in them. From church and God I’ve heard the complete opposite. This is an interesting religiouse difference. Then Krishna brings up an interesting point, the power of discipline. This is so true. Discipline has so much power. If you set your mind to it you can achieve anything with hard work and discipline. Most people say they have it, but only the ones who have worked themselves up from the ground can really say they are disciplined. Is it just me or has this been repeated a lot?, “Keep me in your mind and devotion, sacrifice to me, bow to me, discipline yourself toward me, and you will reach me!” The Sublime Mystery Pg. 90 text 34. This teaching left me rather disappointed as the mystery once again is Krishna.
_______________________________________________________________________
The video linked reminds me of the types of catholics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment