Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Voice Inside My Head

I have begun the second teaching proving thus a little more the theory pondering in the back of my head. You know the little voice inside your head? The one that leads you to do bad things when your bored? Well that voice sometimes has very good arguments, and is very persuasive. This voice is what causes my impulses. Well Krishna is trying to convince Arjuna to fight against his family. Krishna uses very good arguments and quotes that are very convincing. He uses just the ones that make you think, and say “hey maybe I’m actually wrong”. Krishna is like that little voice inside your head that you know deep down is wrong. Arjuna is keeping to what he knows is right, but I wonder how long this will last. Krishna’s arguments contradict Arjuna’s in very convincing ways. He also tries convincing him with religious views; he is basically telling him he will cause shame to his family if he doesn’t fight. Isn’t it his family he would be fighting against? “People will tell of your undying shame, and for a man of honor shame is worse than death.” -Pg. 36 passage 34. “The great chariot warriors will think you deserted in fear of battle; you will be despised by those who held you in esteem.” -Pg.37 passage 35. These are two perfect examples. He is saying indirectly that his family and everyone who loves him will abandon him if he does not fight. Since Krishna is considered a person of wisdom this said from him may be very convincing. This is just my interpretation so far. In fact I believe Krishna may actually be good, and only in this text it appears he is not. This is a book of wisdom, of beliefs, but not for everyone to agree with. How would the world be if everyone was in unanimous agreement to one set of beliefs?
Reading this teaching brought me to think about many quotes that were said. This one stood out the most to me. “When he shows no preference in fortune or misfortune and neither exults nor hates, his insight is sure.” -Pg.40 passage 57. This stood out to me because it may be a connection between the Hindu beliefs and the Buddhist ones. Buddhism is based on trying to get to the state of enlightenment. Now last semester in Global studies we had a guest speaker who was Buddhist, and explained to us about the religion. He said an enlightened person would never choose to reincarnate a wealthy person over a poor person.  I believe there are parallels in Buddhism along the lines of this quote.
This is what most stood out to me from this teaching. I believe I am neither wrong nor right in what I say. It’s just to give a famous text a different perspective. This is just my mere second opinion.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have a chance check out this link Bhagavad Gita

No comments:

Post a Comment