Sunday, February 21, 2010

Gilgamesh: Wafers? Biblical Reference?

Tablet eleven is the longest in the book, yet the one I found most interesting. It was very interesting to see a connection in this tablet with the bible. Gilgamesh was the first known work of literature (2000 B.C) the bible was the first printed book, but written previously on stone. In this tablet there is a huge reference to Noah’s Ark. The Sumerians must have known the stories of the bible in order to write this peace. But what if it was the other way around? What if Noah’s Ark was taken from the Epic of Gilgamesh? This was fascinating to read, it brought so many questions to my mind. My very catholic family I’m sure would not even consider this theory. But would it hurt to think about it? Now the earliest writings of the bible were known to be in aprox. 1400 B.C. Still the Sumerians or the bible had to have taken information one from another. The similarities are clearly no consequence. This once again brought me back to reading my old social studies book, to which I’m sure I will reference to more often now. [A dove flew free and flew away from the boat, seeking a place for its little feet to alight,…] Pg.72 Am I the only one who by reading this thinks Noah’s Ark? [No breath of life was meant to be kept safe from its obliteration in the flood.’] Pg. 74. Noah was told that unless he could find on other person who was healthy and not a bad person there would be a flood meant to destroy the human race with only himself and his wife to spare. The flood in Gilgamesh was also meant to rid of the human race. There is also a couplet or two that mention a sheep sacrifice. [I slaughtered a sheep to make a sacrifice; the gods collected like flies about the altar.] Pg. 73 Back in this time a sheep sacrifice was most common. Gods sacrifice was Jesus Christ whom he sacrificed for the forgiveness of sins. This is why Jesus is known as “The Lamb of God”. There is yet another interesting part to this tablet that I have not uncovered the meaning of. [as he lies sleeping, you must bake a wafer and place the wafer near him, making a mark…] Pg. 76. The whole thing about the wafers I don’t understand. What is the meaning of the rotten, moldy, white crusted, dry, soggy, etc… wafers? 

No comments:

Post a Comment